Deciding you need a running coach might not be what comes to your mind when you think back to when you got started running. But for many people, a coach would be extremely beneficial to both their running and their health.
Archive for July, 2012
People who have never been coached before, sometimes wonder if the difference that separates them from elite runners is purely physical. It most certainly is not. Physical superiority plays a part but competitive running is one of the most mentally intense sports there is. If you know how to focus, you can be sure that you’re performing at the peak of your abilities.
Foam rollers are great. I cannot recommend them enough. Using one provides health benefits, but even if it didn’t, it feels good to use! Foam rollers are essentially a way to give yourself a massage. Made from a dense foam material, they are able to apply firm but gentle pressure to your muscles. If you’ve never tried it, rolling over what is basically a denser version of a noodle that you might find at a swimming pool might seem odd, but there are many benefits.
Running in place is one of the simplest but most effective drills you can do. It helps you:
- Warm up
- Improve your foot strike
- Improve your torso positioning
- Learning how to use your arms
- Becoming aware of your form
Tips For Your Torso
Use these quick tips to make immediate improvements to your running form!
- Keep your back straight. Do not bend it. Stand tall.
- “Straight” does not mean “vertical”. Your back needs to be flat, but you should be leaning slightly forward from the ankles.
- Do not tense your back. Keep it straight, but not tense. Relax. Click to continue reading…